Tottenham’s Europa Conference League tie against Stade Rennes on Thursday has been called off after eight players and five members of staff tested positive for Covid-19 at the London club.
UEFA confirmed the fixture will not take place as planned on Thursday, despite initially saying the match would go ahead as scheduled.
“Discussions are ongoing with Uefa. We shall provide a further update on this fixture in due course,” the club said. Spurs already closed their first-team training centre on Wednesday.
Speaking earlier on Wednesday, Spurs manager Antonio Conte said: “Now, for sure, we are a bit scared because tomorrow we don’t know what happens.” “Every day, we are having more positives. This is not a good situation” he said.
Their match against Brighton on Sunday in the Premier League is believed to be under review. Postponing Premier League games is taken on a case-by-case basis and the decision would be made by the Premier League board if a request is received from a club.
Conte, who said he had been vaccinated, did not say if the positive cases at the club were caused by the new Omicron Covid-19 variant.
When asked about the squad, he said: “I think everyone takes [their own] best decision and is a question for the medical department about people as to whether they are vaccinated or not.”
The English outfit needs a victory against Rennes, who are already assured to finish top of the group, to stand a chance of qualifying for the last 32.