As the senate begins the process of amending the 1999 Constitution on Wednesday the 26th of May, 2021, in 12 locations across the country, Nigerian have started kicking against the amendment process.
Dr. Oby Ezekwesili took to her tweeter page to urge Nigerians to never boycott the Senate Hearings, but instead make their voices heard by demanding for a new constitution instead.
In her words, Obyezekwesili says:
As many citizens as possible who prefer a Process for a New Constitution should attend the hearing if they live in the below cities. I urge you not to boycott the Senate Hearings starting tomorrow Wednesday 26-Thursday 27, May 2021. Please go and make your Voice heard. Attend!
Below are the areas for the Constitution hearing exercise:
- Asaba Centre: grand Hotel, nnebisi Road, asaba, delta state.
- Enugu Centre: Amedea event centre, besides Oakland hotel by tunnel old artisan, off ogui road, Enugu.
- Kaduna Centre: Banquet hall, Gen-Hassan Usman, Katsina house (State house) Kawo Kaduna.
- Bauchi Centre: Lt.Gen Tukur Buratai conference center, Command Guest house, Airport road, Bauchi, Bauchi Avenue.
- Gombe Centre: Gombe International Hotel.
- Akure Centre: International culture and event centre (The Dome), directly opposite Ondo state revenue house. Igbatoro road, Akure ondo state.
- Jos Centre: Crispin Hotel, plot 9259, opposite Airforce Base, Off Jonah David Jang Expressway. Rayfield Jos.
- Lagos Centre: Lagos Marriott hotel Ikeja, 122, Joel Ogunnike Street, Ikeja GRA Lagos.
- Owerri Centre: Proteo Hotel Owerri.
- Minna Centre: Hon. Justice Idris Legbo, Kutigi International conference centre, Minna, Niger state.
- Sokoto Centre: Main auditorium, sultan maccido institute, sokoto.
- Port Harcourt Centre: Yet to be determined.
I think this exercise is worth attending. What do you think?